TOO PROUD FOR MENIAL WORK


Planting and watering are menial servant jobs at minimum wages. What makes them worth doing is the God we are serving. You happen to be God's field in which we are working.  1 Corinthians 3:8-9


I know a man who looked for a job for many, many years. To my knowledge, he still is looking more than 20 years later. His aunt helped him financially because she was able to do so. To this aunt I asked, “Why does he not get a job?” She rolled her eyes and responded with sarcasm, “Because no job is good enough for him. He feels they are below his qualifications.” I am assuming that staying home did meet his high standards.


I know another man who by choice has been out of work more than employed. As a result, he does not pay his child support or pay for court supervised visitations with his children. I was told by the mother of these children, “If I were in his shoes, I would work anywhere, anytime, and several menial jobs if need be, just to see my children.” This man’s pride has interfered with his relationship with his children.


Do we allow pride to get in the way of the work the Lord has for us? I think at times we do, but we need to remember that God Himself humbly came to be human among us. We were people of low position, but  He did not use His equality with God to His advantage, but He left His throne of glory to be with the sick, depraved ones of the world. If this was not enough, He meekly subjected Himself all the way to a painful death on the cross. In severe humiliation, He was stripped of His clothes, spit upon, chastised, and beaten. He was mocked, shoved, slapped, and bore the shame that we deserved.


He did this all through His great love for us. Do we think we could do the same for Him? We need to rid ourselves of the pride that holds us captive. If God places in our hearts a job that seems below our self righteous standards or has us associate with who we judge as people of low position, we can remember that no job given to us from the great Creator of the universe is menial. If we are asked to flip hamburgers in a fast-food restaurant, we will hold the treasure in our hearts that we are not working for the Burger King, but for the King of Kings.


Thank you Lord for all the jobs you give me to do each day. I am humbly grateful for Your divine employment. Through Christ Jesus I pray, Amen.

Comments