GROWING OLD



Even to your old age I will be the same, and even to your graying years I will bear you! I have done it, and I will carry you; and I will bear you and I will deliver you.  Isaiah 46:4

I am growing older. It shows in my face. I feel it in my bones. My eyes, ears, voice, legs, arms and hands do not perform the way they did when I was 20 or 30. My reflexes are slower and I have more aches and pains on a daily basis.

It made me start to think about Jesus. Jesus truly did suffer a horrible death for us, but one thing Jesus did not experience was, old age. He died when He was in His early 30’s. He did not experience ears that could no longer hear, or walking balance issues. He never had to wear glasses, or be helped by younger people doing the smallest of tasks. He felt humility but not because He could no longer open a jar or remember things.

Yet, even though I am getting older, I am gaining some things. The Bible says in Proverbs 16:31, that my gray hair is my crowning glory. Job 12:12 says that old age brings more wisdom, and understanding. I also am still able to produce fruit, and can still do the work of the Lord. Psalms 92:14-15.

I also realize that in my older age I am gaining time. You may say, “More time? Seems to me like you are running out of time.” But, now at this stage of my life, I am not in as big as a hurry as I use to be.

I actually have time every morning to read and meditate on the word, instead of rushing through it, because of interruptions.  I am not dashing out the door to make it to work. Instead, I can kneel and pray for as long as my old knees can take it. I have time to really listen to God.

I now have more time to also listen to people. I am at a stage where I can sympathize with people, because I have been there; I have done that.  I am not as easily shocked when people make confessions to me. I realize that we all are weak, but thankfully He is strong. We are all in the need of God’s saving grace.

When I was young, most of my ministry was in raising a family. Now my ministry extends into other areas while God is still opening doors and opportunities. Even though my hearing is not as good, I am growing to be more in tune to His voice. My mind is not as sharp, but I am growing more grateful for His blessings. My reactions are slower, but I am quicker to dependent on Him. My eyesight might not be perfect, but I view God’s greatness more than ever. I guess you can say, as I am growing old, I am also growing up.

 In all periods of life, we should see the blessings and not the downfalls. Every season of our life has a purpose. God does not cast us off in our old age, just because our strength is failing. He can use people, no matter what their age, to do His work.

Jesus may not have lived on this earth into His old age, however because He is God, the Ancient of Days, and because He lives in me, He knows and understands.  I love this stage of my life, and am grateful God has blessed me with this new chapter before me. I stand closer now, than ever, at the edge of the pool of eternity, and as I begin to walk out on the creaky diving board of old age, I will not fear. The God that held my hand as a child, a teen, a young adult, and a middle-aged adult is still holding my hand. 

Dear Father, Thank you for being a God of the young and the old. Use us all for your kingdom. Amen

Comments

  1. Hello sister Jenny Calvert. Very encouraging devotional for the old as well as young. I liked the expression "He is still holding my hand in reference to the promise of God in Isaiah 46:4. I am truly blessed and feel privielged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you as a women of God having concern and passion for ladies. I love getting connected with the peole of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 37 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have young and adult ladies who are interested in missions to come to Mumbai on a missions trip to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you,your family and friends. God wiling I will be coming to the States in the month of May and will be so glad to stop by your place and meet you to know further about your ministry to the women.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment