KINDNESS


Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee. Psalms 63:3


The definition of kindness according to Dictionary.com is: the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate. Lovingkindness has nearly the same definition: tenderness and consideration toward others.


Do you know, or have you ever met someone who fits this description? I have met people who have shown kindness to me, but I do not know if they are kind at all times.


One person is my husband, John. Many times he has shown acts of tender consideration. He has opened doors for me. He has let me go before him in a line. He has taken me places which he knows I enjoy. He loves to please me. He tries to be patient with me, and he does the same for others.  Although John is kind in many, many ways, there are times he gets cross with me, or uses words that are hurtful, or loses his patience with me. I am not blameless. I have done the same to him. The thing is, we both try to be friendly, generous, patient, and considerate, but that’s the point; we try. We must work at it. It’s not always the core of our nature.


God, on the other hand, is the very nature of lovingkindness. He showed great love toward the human race He created, by His great sacrifice. As we go through trials and tribulations in this life, sometimes we do not view God as kind. We think He is cruel, unfair, and unjust. It is at these very times He draws us closer to Himself. Think about it--Who do you turn to during times of trouble? We go to God in prayer. We ask others to join us in prayers. We seek His word to get answers and comfort. We seek Godly counsel.


God’s lovingkindness reaches to us, scoops us up in His arms, and holds us tight. Even in the process we bring others with us during these times. And this is what makes life not only just tolerable, but abundant. We finally become aware of our bountiful blessings as our hearts of faith grow in His security.


Our lips should praise Him in all things--the good, the bad, and the ugly. He does not bring the bad and ugly. These are results of the sin nature and are demonstrated by hostility, hatred, cruelty, selfishness, and intolerance. But the Lord can turn the bad to good and the ugly to beautiful. God is love, and He will supply  just what we need by His lovingkindness.


My lips praise you oh Lord for your lovingkindness. Through Christ I pray, Amen.

Comments