LITTLE KISSES


See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him.  1 John 3:1


I remember the sweetness of my little babies, their pudgy cheeks, oh so tiny little toes, peach fuzz hair, and dimpled hands. I would nuzzle my nose in their necks, sniff in their sweet aromas, and lavish many little kisses on their cheeks. Each baby was my little love.


Their first smiles would make me smile. Their tiny little teeth would begin to emerge, and soon they were on all fours, crawling, grabbing things, and putting everything into their mouths. Eventually, they  would stand on their own two feet and soon thereafter run everywhere. When I would catch them and swing them into the air and listen to their infectious giggles, again I would lavish kisses on my sweet toddlers.


The elementary years came, and they tolerated a kiss here and there. The teenage years came, and the kisses diminished, yet in my eyes I still saw my little babies. Soon enough they are off into the world and all the little kisses were  gone. I remember with a melancholy air the songs we would sing together, the little jigs in the livingroom, the goodnight snuggles and prayers, the hurried dinners, the corny jokes and tricks, the first date, the questions, the defiances, and so much more.


Why do we mothers feel an instinct to give little kisses to our babies? Just maybe somewhere deep in our hearts, we know that we must give all the kisses while we can, for soon enough moments like this will only be a dim memory. We may be lucky to have a dream where they are little again, and we whisp them up into our arms to carry them on our hips. We would protect them with our lives if need be, and we are proud to call them our own. Our babies are special and precious.


Could God view us the same way? We are His special and precious creations. He is protective and loving. He gives us littles kisses disguised in packages of blessings. Our blessings are so numerous that we cannot even number them. He is crazy about us, and He loves to watch us go from crawling to walking as we grow in Him. He loves when we graduate from the milk of the word to the meat of the word. He enjoys our fellowship of conversation. He wants to be involved in our plans, hopes, and dreams. He truly cares as no other.
.
We may push Him away at times, but He watches and waits for us to come back to Him. To those who have grown to be too sophisticated and world-wise to spend time with God, come back. Let Him swing you up into the air and allow yourself to relax in abandonment of yourself to Him. He is not only a stern Father to be respected, but He is also a Father who looks on you with great compassion and mercy. He is the creator of smiles and giggles and hugs.  He will lavish you with His sweet kisses of love because you are called His child.


Forgive me Father God for wandering away from your loving arms. Thank you for picking me back up in your arms, and for your forgiveness. In Christ I pray, Amen

Comments