LIVING FOR TOMORROW


If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.
Colossians 3:1-2


There is a saying that goes, “Live today as if there is no tomorrow.” but this is backward. We need to look at it in this way, “Live today for our eternal tomorrow.” Our time on earth is diminutively temporal. We each have our own specific time in space. God has a perfect plan through each one of us. I was born on a particular date, and I will die on a specific date. God, in the form of Jesus, also lived in the confines of a fleshly temple, to be born  on a certain date, and die on a chosen date. Physical life is so very short. Christ fulfilled His monumental purpose in His minuscule time here on earth, and we too must fulfill ours.


Paul tells us that we should live our lives for the kingdom. The kingdom is everlasting, so it would only make sense to work today, for our eternal future. We need to live in this world, but our minds and hearts should be focused on Christ. Each day when we rise we need to go to God in prayer asking Him to help us to be in His will, just as it is in heaven. Then we keep in tune to His voice, guiding us to do and say things that bring honor to His name. If we love the Lord with all our might, then it would be the natural thing to want to please Him.


There is another saying that goes, “One can be so heavenly minded, that they are no earthly good.” I used to believe this, but now I know it’s not true. If one is really in tune with Christ, they would be loving, patient, kind, forgiving, peaceful, slow to anger, careful with their tongue, and nonjudgmental. This saying is only true when one says with their mouth that they are a Christian, but their actions prove otherwise.


God can see our act of piousness if we are lacking love. He sees what goes on behind closed doors, and what is in our hearts. Our testimony is mere verbal platitudes. People who only act may find themselves in this predicament:  “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord’, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only one who does the will of my Father in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many deeds of power in your name?’ Then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; go away from me, you evildoers.’” Matthew 7:21-23


Dear Father, Help me to fix my heart and mind on things from above. Help me to work now for your kingdom. In Christ I pray, Amen

Comments