THE FACE OF GRACE



The grace of our Lord overflowed with the faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the worst. But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, first, Jesus Christ might show all patience, as an example to those who were to believe in Him for eternal life. 1 Timothy 1:14-16

I’m not referring to a physical person named Grace, but if grace, defined as unmerited favor, could have a face, she would be beautiful indeed. I first met Grace, when I was only five years old. I did not realize her status or wealth, I just knew that I would like her to be my best friend. She seemed loving, sweet, and kind. She was like never dissolving candy to my childish tongue.

Through the years, as I tested the waters, I made some poor choices. It was Grace that always came to my rescue and bailed me out of the mess I had made. I also met others who had a friend in Grace. They were older, and much more worldly wise, when they asked for Grace.

Grace was always extended, to everyone. No matter how deep one was in the muck and mire of sin, she was there.  I would say, lurking in the shadows, but that seems evil. Instead, she was always in plain sight, actually in the light, but there, nonetheless, always waiting to gain access, but never forcing her way into a life.

Grace can be found in the face of Christ. She can be seen in His nail scarred hands and feet. She can be realized in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. She can be felt in the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. She is there for the taking. There is enough Grace to go around to everyone, because the creator of the universe holds her power, created her power.

Once we allow Grace in our life, then we must let her shine through us to others. Grace is not something we deserve, so we should never think were part of some elite Grace club. She is freely available to all. Even the self-proclaimed “Worst Sinner in the World,” was extended grace to become possibly the best missionary in the world. Paul admitted being “a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and an insolent man,” yet he received Grace, and extended her to others.

It’s God’s grace. She belongs only to Him, and He gave her to us though His Son. So Grace is never ours to keep as a trophy, but ours to yield to the other undeserving, as Christ yielded to us.

Is Grace in your life? Jesus is waiting for you to allow the love of His Grace, to come into your life. You my friend, could possibly be the next face of Grace.

Dear Lord of Grace and Mercy, I never deserved you, so I will pass you along to the other undeserving. In Christ, Amen.

Comments