A MOTHER'S DAY PRAYER



He will keep you strong until the end so that on the day when our Lord Jesus Christ comes, you will be free from all blame.  1 Corinthians 1:8



To all my children, by the grace, love and forgiveness of God the father, I come to Him and to you to admit my many faults, wrong-doings, and negligence. God blessed me with all five of you wonderful children. When you were born, I felt a love that was all-consuming. The presence of this force almost left me sick; possibly from the gravity of responsibility, for protecting, and nourishing this life given to me by God.

I so desperately wanted to get everything right, but I admit to you, my children, in many, many ways, I have failed. I tried to feed you, not only food and milk, but with the food of God’s love.

I took you to church. I prayed with you at mealtimes, bedtimes, and times when you had special requests. I sang songs to you, played games with you, molded clay, colored, built towers, built blanket tents and pretended with you. I gave you baths, washed your clothes, cooked for you, and did homework with you. I rocked you, kissed your scraped knees, put you to bed at night and reminded you, that you were beautiful, talented, and smart. I took long walks with you, and drove you from one place to another. I watched and listened to you practice, sing, read, perform, tell jokes, do tricks, and relay your disappointments and concerns.

Yes, in many senses, I was a good mother but there is the other side of the coin. Many times I did not listen to you as well as I should have. I could have talked about Jesus more. I was not as patient as I could have been, and I became angry at times. I didn’t always set the best Christ-like example. I allowed arguments in front of you. I said words that were inappropriate or cutting. I forgot you even at times. I didn’t always see to your needs before mine. I sometimes made the topic about me instead of you. I was judgmental. I was thoughtless. I embarrassed you at times. I didn’t always hold my tongue as I should have. I made numerous mistakes.

I come to God and to you to say I am deeply sorry. I admit my failures. I have a repentant mother’s heart. I come to you asking for your forgiveness. I had only one opportunity to get everything right, and I was far from perfect, however, God, in His grace, raised you to be wonderful adults, despite me.  

To all parents I say, In Christ, do His best, not yours. Remember that your missionary ministry begins at home. Preach Jesus Christ. Set a Godly example. Ask God and your children for forgiveness, when you have wronged them, and then, learn to forgive yourself. Be patient, kind, slow to anger, quick to forgive and really listen to them. Go to God each day and allow Him to guide your tongue, your thoughts and your actions. Most importantly of all, show God’s love to your children. You can’t go too wrong, when you are grounded in God’s love.

Raising children is a difficult task. It can wear you down emotionally, physically and mentally. Just remember and claim this scripture, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”  Now seems like an eternity, but this time goes by so quickly. God will keep us strong till the end, and when we are finished, with mistakes and all, He will count us blameless through the blood of Jesus Christ. Thanks be to God!                                                                                                                                       

Dear Father, Thank you for setting the best example of all. Bless all mothers with your forgiveness and strength. Amen

Comments