Waiting Patiently

WAITING PATIENTLY

Written by:  Jenny Calvert

But do not ignore this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like one day. The Lord is not slow about his promise, as some think of slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting any to perish, but all to come to repentance.
2 Peter 3: 8-9 (NRSV)

I was only fifteen when my niece was born.  She was so tiny with ten little fingers and toes and so beautiful with dark hair and big blue eyes. I immediately fell in love with her.  I also had the privilege of babysitting her when her mom and dad would leave.  Unfortunately because of this, my niece became wary when I would appear.  To her I represented mommy and daddy leaving.  When we would have family gatherings I longed to hold her and kiss her sweet cheeks, but she wanted nothing to do with me.  I had to patiently and softly encourage her to come as I yearned for her and waited from a distance.  Eventually, she could see that I only wanted to love her, not take her away from her parents, and she did come to my arms.

This reminds me of how Jesus waits and calls to us patiently. He said, Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.”   It’s a very sad scenario, when the one who created us has to wait patiently for us to come back into His arms.  He knocks at the door of our heart, and gently calls us by name but out of His love He never forces Himself on His children. He wants us to willingly open that door and let Him into our lives. Sometimes we reject His beckoning because of stubbornness, fear or pride.  We could have felt His love, been sheltered, comforted, fed, protected, strengthened, quenched, calmed and so much more  if we only answered the door.

Dearest Lord,
Thank-you for patiently waiting for me to answer your call.  I do open my life to you and all you have to offer.  Forgive me for my stubbornness.  It’s so wonderful to be in your presence.
In Jesus’ name,

Amen

Comments