Trusting God's Promise

TRUSTING GOD’S PROMISE

Story by: Patty Smith

“We can rejoice…when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us – they help us learn to endure. And endurance develops strength of character in us. And character strengthens our confident expectation of salvation. And this experience will not disappoint us. For we know how dearly God loves us, because He has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with His love.” (Romans 4: 3-5 NLT)

Christmas Day 2002, began as always with love, laughter and gifts galore with children and grandchildren. About mid-afternoon, we all left our house to celebrate the rest of the day with extended family. I never realized that my life would change dramatically after leaving my home.

Shortly after dinner, we received word that our house was on fire.  We immediately left to return, hoping for the best, only to arrive and find our home built with my husband’s own hands, was gone. This home held memories of births, child-rearing, marriages, laughter and tears. As grateful as I was that my family was safe, I could not help but grieve the loss of our home and all the irreplaceable items we had - such as my scrapbooks, photographs and family heirlooms.  Everything except the clothes on my back and the contents of my purse were gone.

My heart was full of sorrow that day, but I was not without hope. The Lord brought this verse to my mind very soon in the grieving process: “And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose for them.” (Romans 8:28 NLT)

I claimed that verse and trusted in God’s promise throughout the whole ordeal:

I trusted God for all the essentials He knew we needed. All of our needs were provided within days of the fire thanks to donations from friends, relatives, strangers plus an initial insurance payment.

I trusted God through the long, painstaking task of listing and putting a value on all that was lost. Eventually our insurance company settled.

I trusted God that He would indeed work all these things for His glory.   Within a year we were back in a beautifully crafted home built by my husband, sons, and others.

I did lose all my material possessions that day, but I never lost His Word in my heart. God made a promise and kept His promise to me.

Dearest Father in Heaven,

Thank you for the promises given to us in Your Word. Thank for your faithfulness in keeping them. Help those who are going through difficult times to hold on to your promises.

In Jesus Name,

 Amen

Comments