PSALM 63 PRAYER


And this is the boldness we have in him, that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 1 John 5:14

Sometimes praying is difficult, but I find that I am not the only one who struggles with this. Even the disciples sought guidance concerning prayer when they asked Jesus, "How should we pray?" Jesus gave them some advice and an example by using what we call today, "The Lord's Prayer." When I am greatly troubled or when I know my words are lacking, the Lord's Prayer is my go-to prayer. By themselves, mere words hold little credit, but the condition of my heart when it is humble and contrite is worth much more, and in this, God will see and God will hear.

When we have difficulty choosing the right words, the solution is simple. We can open our Bible to the center and uncover a treasure trove of gems of hymns and prayers to God called the Psalms. We can change and add personal words or omit outdated language to make the prayer applicable to our situation, our era, and our world. 

Here is an example using Psalm 63:

“Oh, loving God, my God, I earnestly look for your presence with a thirsty soul and longing body. I have seen you in my life, which by the blood of Christ is now your holy temple. Your unfailing love fills me till my heart overflows with thanksgiving. Your love is better than anything else, even life, and this is why I praise you.”

“Day and night, help me to think and meditate on you. Let me not wander from the safety of your loving arms, and keep me from dangers and evils. I will trust that you will silence all those who lie to me, this country, and this world. Let their lies die by the sword of your loving light, illuminating their evil ways. I trust you to bring forth your holy truth by your grace and mercy. I will rejoice, trust, and praise you." 

David was in the wilderness of Judah when he wrote this Psalm. We are in a time of our own wilderness, a time of unrest and turmoil. God's presence assures us of provision and protection as we seek His truth. If you can't seem to find the words to pray, try using the Psalms. They are not obsolete.

I will sing my praise to you and will rejoice in you forever. Through Christ, I pray, Amen.


Comments