DISTRACTIONS


 But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things.”  Luke 10:41


If I am merely interrupted during a thought process, I forget what I was going to say. I admit my fault of being easily distracted. I think my brain is like a digital pinball machine that moves at the speed of light. Thoughts and ideas are pinging back and forth in every direction.


In Luke, we read of a woman who was distracted by all her work. Martha gets a little scolding by Jesus, but my heart goes out to her. I understand Martha. She was trying to be a good hostess by feeding and caring for her guests. If all were like Mary, would anything get accomplished?


We know, through scripture, Jesus had the power to multiply fish and loaves of bread, so He could produce the needs for this gathering. On the other hand, we also have to admire Martha, who was a willing worker. She did not sit back and say, “Oh well, Jesus will take care of it.” She was participating by using her God-given abilities. 


There is a fine line of knowing when to sit back and listen to God and when to get up and work. We need to clear our heads to stop and listen. God knows us and loves us with all our faults. He lovingly reminds us, “You are worried and distracted by many things. Focus on me, and I will help you accomplish much.” God knows we are a work in progress, learning to focus, listen, and obey by taking action.


It’s easy to get distracted by all the cares of this world, the falling stock market, the pandemic, the crime rate, and the unrest. There is only one thing that is needed--a loving relationship with Jesus. It is through Him that all things are possible. God can display His power through us as faith in action. He will sort out our troubled brains to help us meditate, work, show love, and find peace amid chaos.


Forgive me, Father, for being distracted by the cares of this world. Please help me to place my thoughts on the one thing that is needed--you!  Amen.


Comments