MERE WORDS


Act wisely toward outsiders, making the most of the opportunity. Your speech should always be gracious and sprinkled with insight so that you may know how to respond to every person. Colossians 4:5-6


I always know when my daughter wants something from me or wants to smooth over my ruffled feathers. She says, "I love you, and you're pretty." It has become a game of sorts, and it makes me inwardly amused at her tactics. I also remember when I was a child, saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me." We all know that this statement is not accurate.


Words are not merely words; they have considerable power. My mother used to say, "Think before you speak." Blurting out the first thing on our mind can be hurtful, sarcastic, or thoughtless. Even our facial expression or tone of voice can be off-putting. 


As I passed a lady the other day, her incredibly long hair suddenly blew in the wind to flow up into my hands as well as a plate of food I was carrying. In disgust, I cringed and said, "Oh, gross!" I gave way to an episode of knee-jerk reaction, instead of a thought out non-response. Later, my daughter told me that the long-haired lady called me a not-so-nice name. The lady had witnessed my facial expression and had heard only two words from me. To my regret, I had offended her with my purposeful words. I wished I hadn't done that, and it was too late to take back my reactive words.


Mean words can cause great harm, and soothing words can be comforting and encouraging. Proverbs 16:24 says, "Pleasant words are flowing honey, sweet to the taste and healing to the bones." Paul tells us in Colossians that our speech should always be gracious and insightful.


Would a salesperson approach a potential buyer with rude, crass language? No, instead, he/she would be charming and charismatic with greeting a prospective client, especially if a positive outcome is his/her goal.


Be wise at the opportunities God places before you. Use words that are kind and edifying. Pay attention to the receiver of your words. Stop and think; in other terms, hold on to a reaction. Instead, take one second to respond, and possibly the response should be none at all. Perhaps the other person only needs a listening ear. We must remember that each person placed in our path is a potential client.


If you want to be an instrument of God's love, then heed these two things; the opportunities He places before you and the needs of others. Don't react, but let God be the one who responds through you. His love will control your actions, and His wisdom will control your mouthpiece.


Dear Father, Forgive me for not responding in the way you would have me respond. Amen.

Comments