HERMENEUTICALLY SPEAKING


Because the Lord is good, his loyal love lasts forever; his faithfulness lasts generation after generation. Psalm 100:5


My son, Jim, is in the process of getting his masters in divinity. He is almost finished and already has a church assignment. One semester, I had the privilege of attending his classes on the study of Paul. Jim's studies have spurred me to dig deeper than I have ever dug before. It has also broadened my vocabulary.


One day, Jim asked me, "Mom, what is your hermeneutic of God?" I looked at him, puzzled, and said, "What is hermeneutic?" He went on to say, "Hermeneutic is your interpretive principle, or how you view God?" My answer was immediate, "God is love." Jim went on to say, "Your hermeneutical view will be the basis of your shape of God in all things, including the Bible and applications in your life."


The book of Revelation speaks of the seven Spirits of God. Isaiah 11:1-3 tells us that God has the Spirit of the Lord, wisdom, understanding, counsel, strength, knowledge, and fear; however, many interpretations have promulgated on this topic. This list does not even include love, but we know through scripture that God is Love. Quite possibly, love is not a Spirit of God but who God is. This list may not include other ways we view God. One may see God as righteous and another as holy. Some may believe God is justice, compassion, hope, or Creator. Indeed, God is all these things, and possibly these are His attributes instead of Spirits. The bottom line is each of us has a basic principle concerning our view of God, even those who do not believe.


Maybe, God represents something different to you, but God has revealed Himself to you in a specific way that brings you comfort, peace, and joy. I believe that blanketed in His love, God is many things. His wisdom and understanding are in His love. God's love encapsulates His counsel, strength, and knowledge. God's love powered the creating, saving, and making new of this world. I am loved. You are loved. "But now abideth faith, hope, and love, these three; and the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13. God's loyal love lasts forever. Hermeneutically speaking, how do you view God?


Thank you, Father God, for being love to me. Through Jesus, I pray, Amen.

Comments