DESPERATE TIMES


For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Isaiah 41:13


The fat squirrel visits our yard every morning to eat our banana trees. My husband makes loud noises to scare him away, but this tactic is useless. I proceed to go outside to the squirrel’s perch, wave my arms and scold him, saying, “No, you don’t! Leave our trees alone. Scram!” I can’t believe my eyes. He is not scared in the least. This fat little fellow raises himself to look straight at me with daring eyes as if to say, “Come on, lady. Bring it on. I want this banana tree, and I am going to have it!” I am somewhat amused at his determination. 


Are we as brave and determined in our Christian walk? We have the “mean big lady” coming at us in the form of illness, insecurities, obstacles, and anxieties. She screams at us to leave our post of witness. She tells us it’s okay just once to indulge in sin because, after all, “Desperate times call for desperate measures.” She tells us to worry, fret, lie, cheat, and drown our sorrows in substances. She tells us no one is watching.


Suddenly, we don’t feel fearless as we fall for her lies. Our courageousness turns to cowardice. The moment we step off our perch, we let fear increase as we unknowingly let Christ decrease. 


Using scripture will help us to resist temptation. Look the evil one straight in the eye and verbalize your interpretation of scriptures. “I am on guard; standing firm in the faith; I am choosing courage; I will be strong.” (1 Corinthians 16:13) “I’m strong! I’m fearless! I won’t be afraid, and you don’t scare me, because the Lord my God is the one who marches with me. He won’t let me down, and he won’t abandon me.” (Deuteronomy 31:6I) “Get away from me, Satan.” (Matthew 4:10)


Stand firm! Boldly respond instead of blindly reacting. Desperate times do call for extreme measures of trusting fully, not partially in Christ. Remember, God in us is much greater than anyone or anything in this world, and in Him, all things are possible.

Thank you, Father God, for helping us through desperate times. Help us to stand firm using your word. Amen.

Comments