PURSUING GOD


Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? Psalms 139:7


A man says to his wife, "I know what you meant because I know you exactly all too well." The wife may protest and say, "I honestly didn't mean that." It doesn't matter. The husband thinks he knows, and nothing will change his mind. A mother says to her son, "I don't believe you. You are telling a lie," when, in reality, her son is telling the truth this time. The frustrated son storms out of the room, thinking to himself, "Next time, I'll lie."  Another child has learned to shut down and withdraw because he/she lives in a hostile environment of arguing parents but is deemed an uncooperative student by the teacher.


We think we know people, but we do not. Humans have become actors on the stage of life who build walls of defense, filled with anger, fear, regret, sorrow, bitterness, or shame. I knew a woman that played her act so well that another woman said, "She is the Godliest woman I know." Shortly after, we found this Godly woman in an adulterous affair with a deacon from our church. She kept those scripts hidden. We are all guilty of a fake facade because we know if the public knew our ugliness, we would not be accepted.


God knows each of us through and through, even our secret, nasty lies. Nonetheless, He loves us and accepts us just as we are. We may try to hide, but as the scripture says, “Where can I go from your Spirit?" In Acts 2:17 It says, "'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people.’" God's Spirit of love rests on each child. How can we run from that?


Maybe you are so busy trying to pursue the one who has been in pursuit of you all along. Instead, relinquish all your shameful secrets to the all-knowing God whose mercy and love endures forever. God’s love is for the “just-as-you-are you,” the person hiding behind a facade. Come out into His light, for He knows you through and through and loves you like no other.
  
Thank you, Father God, for loving me just the way that I am. Through Christ, I pray, Amen.

Comments