PERSISTENCE


I tell you, even though he will not get up and give him anything just because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence and boldness, he will get up and give him whatever he needs. Luke 11:8


It was an inconvenient time to answer my cell phone when it rang that day; however, after its summonings, it rang again after only a brief pause in silence. I did not answer a second time. Then my husband’s phone rang, followed by the house landline, then back to my cell phone. I could tell that whoever needed my attention needed it badly. The constant persistence made me finally stop what I was doing, recognizing the person on the other end of the line. Persistence is what made me answer.


We can boldly approach God’s throne to request anything, and we can persevere in our prayers. I remember praying for three years on a specific something before God answered, but I also remember praying for six years on something else, and God said, “No.” Just like a child who badgers a parent for something, the parent may say “no” or “wait.” God does the same to His children.


Another story in the Bible speaks of persistence, in Luke 18:3-5 “There was a [desperate] widow in that city, and she kept coming to him [the judge] and saying, ‘Give me justice and legal protection from my adversary.’ For a time he would not; but later he said to himself, ‘Even though I do not fear God nor respect man, yet because this widow continues to bother me, I will give her justice and legal protection; otherwise by continually coming she [will be an intolerable annoyance and she] will wear me out.”


God is persistent in pursuing us with His love. We, in turn, can be the same in our requests. However, if God tells us “no” or “wait” sometimes, it’s better to back off and rest in His peace, knowing that He will work all things out for our good in the end.


Dear God, Here I am again, making the same request. Thank you for never growing tired of my pleas. Help me to wait patiently for your answer. Amen.

Comments