GRACE SUFFICIENT FOR NOW


Therefore, stop worrying about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34


We were taking our two little boys on a summer vacation to the Lake of the Ozarks with some friends and their two small children. As we were packing and getting ready to go, my mind was going in circles. We would be out of our routine. How would my boys do in this situation? The night before our trip, I lay in bed, unable to sleep. I couldn’t get my mind to settle. I was thinking of all the dangers and possible accidents that could happen. I could visualize my little boys falling off the dock into the ebony waters of the lake. I would be frantically diving into the lake to save them, but I could not find them in the deep-deep blackness of the water.


These kinds of nightmares invaded my mind every time we went on vacation for many years to follow. As my family grew from two children to five, the potential for danger was more significant. One day I realized this worrying was complete folly. How many times had we traveled with no incidence at all? I was wasting my time, my thoughts, my peace, and my joy. 


Is there not enough evil for each day that we feel the need to heap more evil to it? My worry was doing just that. I’m not saying that one should not take precautionary measures for safety, but being anxious solves nothing. Being anxious, however, creates the problem of stress headaches, chewed fingernails, restlessness thoughts, tight muscles, and stomach ulcers.


The Lord conveyed to Paul that God’s grace was sufficient. Is that message valid for us also? Being surrounded by evil and danger is inevitable, but anxiousness does nothing to solve it. We should always be ready just like the story of five of the ten virgins. We should not be foolish but be prepared physically, mentally, and spiritually in all things. However, Jesus told us not to worry about the “what-ifs” of tomorrow. Have faith in His sufficient grace of the now.

Thank you, Lord, for removing my anxious thoughts and replacing them with Your peace. Amen

Comments