HITTING A BRICK WALL


Job, stop for a minute and listen. Think about the wonderful things God does. Job 37:14


My friend hit a brick wall one day, so to speak. Her terminally ill brother had taken a turn for the worse, she wrecked her car while taking her disabled son to school, and then she slipped and fell hitting her head on a concrete wall. This resulted in an emergency room visit with stitches.


The expression, “hitting a brick wall,” has a connotation of coming to an abrupt halt. Many times our problems come in groups.  We become so consumed with our situation that our last blow leaves us stunned. I saw a bird fly smack into the house wall a few years ago. The stunned bird fell to the ground, but it rallied and took flight. I knew with the help of God that my friend would also rally and take flight.


Job hit a wall in his life. His problems were the loss of his animals, his servants, and his children. His friends who came to console him added to the heap of problems with their ill advice. Job was stunned and confused as to why he found himself in such a dire situation. God told Job to stop in his tracks and listen to Him. He reminded Job of His power.


God had a plan for Job, and God has a plan for us. Some of our obstacles can be solved by God through us, some are to be solved later, and some are out of our hands completely. With God’s help, we can trust our situations to Him, lay them before His feet, and receive the peace He offers in the midst of the storms. We recognize our dilemmas and actively pray. The walls we reach in our lives are blessings in disguise to help us stop, look, and listen for God’s answers.


It’s during our stunned times where God reaches down and places His hands on both sides of our face to direct our focus to Him. This is a tactic we use with our own children when we mean business. God’s means business as He directs our eyes to meet His. He lovingly says, “Look at me my child. I hold the whole world in my hands, and I will equip you to face your problems. I may point you to remedies, or I may not, but one thing is for sure, I love you. Can you trust in this love enough to know that I will do what is best for you?”


Dear Lord, Thank you for making us stop at times so that we will have to pay attention to your directions in life. Help us to really listen to what you have to say. In His Name, Amen

Comments