ECCLESIASTES



Whoever is among the living can be certain about this. A living dog is definitely better off than a dead lion, because the living know that they will die... Ecclesiastes 9:4-5


Much of the Bible is shrouded in mystery, conundrum, and wonder. The book of Ecclesiastes is one such book. Scholars even debate the authorship of this book, some saying it was King Solomon and others saying that it was written much later in time. It’s a somewhat cynical book with the word “meaningless” used 38 times. However, when I saw Ecclesiastes 9:4-5, it made me inwardly laugh.


There is a well-known saying that goes like this: There are two things that are certain in life--death and taxes. We all know that our bodies are not meant to live forever on this earth. We age, wrinkle, grow weak, and expire. Many believe that when people expire, they cease to exist. Others, however, believe that life counts for something, and an inward being of ourselves that we call the soul, goes on to be a viable entity. I opt for that second choice. I believe that we were wonderfully, intricately made, and to simply cease to exist would be a pointless amount of work on a creator’s part.


I also chose to believe in “The Creator,” of the Bible. I have no compelling argument as to why I believe in this God, who came to the world He created, in flesh and blood as Christ Jesus but most likely it was my upbringing. I could defend my belief by all the times God has answered prayers, rescued me, and filled me with His presence of the Holy Spirit, but this is only my personal experience.


At one point I made a decision never to sit on the fence wondering what to choose. I closed my eyes, took the leap, and planted my feet firmly on one side of the fence of God's green pastures. Even if one were to believe that I chose the biggest scam of all time, I am not wavering; I picked Jesus, and my feet are not only on solid ground, but I have grown a root system that keeps me planted right there. Because I am rooted in Him, I am growing His fruit, and I am content.


I am sure of nothing but of this one thing:  I have peace concerning my physical death. There is something to be said about obtaining peace in one's heart while living this difficult physical existence on earth. People cannot refute the obvious peaceful condition of my heart. It bears witness to something or someone in me that is greater than me.


Yes, death, the last great mystery, stands before us. The future is yet to unfold, but the Bible says that God will reign forever, and I plan on living in His kingdom. How about you?


Christ Jesus, I picked you many years ago, and I am not sorry with that decision. You have been my rock and fortress and have given me everlasting peace. Thank you! Amen.


Comments