ROACHES



And have you ever ordered Morning, ‘Get up!’ told Dawn, ‘Get to work!’ So you could seize Earth like a blanket and shake out the wicked like cockroaches? As the sun brings everything to light, brings out all the colors and shapes, The cover of darkness is snatched from the wicked—they’re caught in the very act!  Job 38:12-15 (The Message)


I heard my husband shriek the other day. I asked, “Are you okay? What happened?” His reply, “You don’t want to know.” He did finally tell me, though. It seems as he was putting on a pair of shorts hanging in the closet, and a disgusting roach darted out of the pant leg.


I wrote an inspirational on mosquitos and stated that God had a purpose of all things great and small. I also said that we need to give thanks, but, oh, for these nasty creatures? Mosquitos are usually just pesky, although some can carry serious diseases, but roaches are down right dreadful. Give thanks for these things? Must I?


I keep one eye poised to the floor and one on my screen and do some research. To all of us roach haters, which by the way is number one on the detestable-bug list, there is some worth. I am not going to even list how they are useful to other animals and the environment, except that their waste material has nitrogen, which is used in the soil by plants. I must admit, I am still not convinced, and I still hate roaches.


Roaches love darkness, just like sin. Roaches love the company of other roaches, just like sin. Roaches multiply, just like sin. Roaches spread disease, just like sin. Roaches are vulgar creatures, just like sin. Thus, I view them as nasty sin-like creatures, and, obviously,  they are described negatively in Job 38:12-15. The wicked are compared to cockroaches whose sins are exposed in God’s heavenly light. Guess what roaches do when they are exposed to the light? They run!


God, Thank you for exposing any wickedness to Your light of love. Let me flee from my sin like a roach runs from light, but let me run straight into your arms. Though Christ I pray, Amen.

Comments

Post a Comment