MIND TO LIPS


Before a word is on my tongue you, LORD, know it completely. Psalm 139:4


This morning in prayer, I was thanking the Lord for the fact that He knows my mind. Psalms 94:11 says, The Lord—knows the thoughts of man, that they are but a breath. I was grateful for His ability to hear my prayers, even when they were not orally spoken. But then He reprimanded me, “Jenny, I hear the prayers of your mind, so do you not realize that when you have an evil thought towards a child I have created, I hear that also?”  It stung to know that I had displeased the Lord.


As I grow older, the Lord has helped me to control my tongue; however, when someone is rude or irritating, I digress. The internal split second judgement of my brain is heard by God. Did I just call them an idiot, moron, or worse? My mouth was shut, but God heard me, loud and clear.


There are many scriptures to substantiate the fact that Jesus knows our minds: 1 Kings 8:39, 1 Chronicles 28:9, Matthew 9:4, 12:25, Luke 5:22, 9:47, and 11:17 are some that tell us this. I realize that when I have an evil thought toward someone, God knows it.


We must understand that when Christ comes into our lives, we are a new creation. He has placed within us a new heart, new tongue, and new mind. When we think evil thoughts, we sin against God.


We have heard the saying, “Keep your thoughts to yourself.” This is impossible. Although we may be able to keep our thoughts from people, we can’t keep them from God. He understands fully our intentions, judgements, contemplations, speculations, and dispositions. Before a word is on our tongue, the Lord knows completely. He knows us better than we know ourselves.


When our minds begin to entertain thoughts that do not glorify God, we can overcome evil with good praise. It’s difficult to have bad thoughts when we are busy thanking Him. Heartfelt gratitude, which is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, and excellent, will guard both our hearts and our tongues. (Phillipians 4:8 paraphrased)

Dear Christ, Jeremiah 17:9 says, The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it? Because You understand us Lord, help our thoughts to be pleasing to You. Amen.

Comments