THE MISTAKE MENDER


We all make many mistakes. A person who never said anything wrong would be perfect. Someone like that would be able to control their whole body too.  James 3:2


I was not the best softball player on the team. In fact, it would be safe to say I might have been the weakest link, but I did enjoy the sport, and I did give it my all. When up to bat, I knew to keep my eye on the ball, but when it came, I swung, and I missed it. Someone from the stands yelled something disparaging about me in front of everyone. In my embarrassment I vomited hateful words back, also in front of everyone. To make matters worse, it was a church team. We were to be acting in a Christ-like manner-- even in softball.


I couldn’t take the words back; they were already out of my mouth, and someone was deeply hurt. Eventually she confided to me that the words spoken against her brother had made her angry and resentful towards me. I admitted my lack of control with my mouth and asked for forgiveness. Many years later I called her back to ask for forgiveness again, but this time I asked not only with my lips but also with my heart. She did not even recall the incidence. She had forgiven me totally.


Have you ever blurted out something which gives you shame and regret? Do you wish you could take it back? If you say that you have never used your mouth or your thoughts in one evil way,  then you would be perfect. As far as I know, there is only one who is perfect, and that is Jesus Christ. The Bible says that we ALL make mistakes, and that we ALL have sinned. But this is the good news-- while we were in this sin, Christ died for us. He took all our sins upon His shoulders. He paved the way for forgiveness and life everlasting.


We make mistakes. Jesus did not. If you turn to Him in faith, seek forgiveness and acknowledge that He is the only way, truth, and life, He will take all those mistakes from you and mend all the holes left behind from the scarring of your sin. Come to the Mistake Mender today and be made brand new.


Father, Forgive me for making so many mistakes. Thank you for forgiving me and making me whole. Through Christ Jesus I pray, Amen.

Comments