APPRECIATIVE


Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow. James 1:17



I have given gifts to loved ones, and sometimes I hear a thank you, sometimes not. My daughter-in-law gave me a special thanks last week when I gave her some smoked meat for their family dinner. I knew she had a busy schedule, and I thought it would help. She sent me the nicest text message of gratitude, and I passed it on to my husband who had smoked the meat. It warmed our hearts to hear her appreciative attitude. At the same time, I understand that many times we do things out of love for others, and we may not receive acknowledgement.

I know I am guilty of not always being appreciative to God for all His many gifts. Many times I take things for granted, such as my ability to breath, to speak, to walk, to move. God has given me a brain with problem solving thought processes. He has given me the ability to love, to have peace, joy, understanding, and faith. I assume these things as a natural expectancy instead of viewing them as precious granted favors. I have no right to have even one more heartbeat, unless it was given to me by God.

If I start with the letter A and go all the way through the letter Z, I know I can come up with many things to show my appreciation to God Almighty: articulation, benevolence, cognizance, development, energy, fluid, gentleness, healing, intestines, justice, knowledge, labor, mentality, numbers, oceans, palate, quiet, rest, saliva, triumphs, usability, veracity, welcoming, xenial churches, youth, and zealousness.

As a Child of God, I am especially grateful for His gift of salvation through Jesus Christ, but it’s the other, less obvious things that I assume without any appreciative manner. I think we all are guilty of presuming self-deserving expectations, which are in reality, daily mercies bestowed to us by the Creator of the Universe. My prayer, another gift of God, is that He will keep me aware of these inconspicuous gifts like the ability to swallow, to absorb nutrients, and to blink, as well as the conspicuous gifts like a waterfall, a rainbow, or an elephant.

Dear Father God, Help me to always be appreciative for the many things You have created and are still creating. In Christ Jesus I pray, Amen.


Comments