FAITH AND WORKS


What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but do not have works? Can faith save you?  James 2:14


There are certain things that go hand in hand, such as: lock and key, pen and paper, bat and ball, sunrise and sunset, and east and west.  What good would a lock be without a key, and what good would paper be without a writing utensil? This is exactly what faith and works are. Faith without works is useless.


The author of James goes on to give us an example; If we see someone who is naked and hungry, we should not only speak words of encouragement, but we should do something to help remedy the situation. What good are words of “peace” without a “piece” of bread to give? What good are our cliches without offering some clothing?


There is another saying that goes,  “Actions speak louder than words.” We are being told in these scriptures to let our action speak as to our faith. If we say to someone, “I love you,” but we treat them with hateful deeds or harmful actions, our words of love mean nothing.


When I was a child, my dad accidentally went home from church without me. A person in the church offered to drive me home. I was scared and cried, “I want my very own daddy.” Do we really love Christ as our very own personal Savior? If we did, then we would love Him with all that is in us, and we would share that love with others. Do we really know him as our Redeemer? If we did, then we would share the salvation message with others. Do we really believe we have been forgiven? If we did, we would forgive others. Do we really believe that Jesus has brought light, hope, strength, and peace into our lives? If so, then we would no only be religious in words, but we would be faith in action to the world.


If we are thirsty a cup without water would be pointless. When we belong to Him and He belongs to us, we go hand in hand. He is the water to quench our thirst, and we are His cup to hold His water (the Holy Spirit.) We become one with Him. In essence,  we can’t have one without the other. Because we are in Christ, and Christ is in us, He will do His works through us, and our lives of faith will exemplify His response of faith deeds.


Thank you Father God for making me one with you through your Son, Jesus Christ. Help me to always show the world my oneness with You. Amen

Comments