FAILED PLANS/SUCCESSFUL OUTCOME


We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
There have been times in my life where things did not go the way I had planned. We all mentally picture what our life should look like. We may see the perfect marriage, the beautiful home, a wonderful job, smart/well-behaved children, a nice nest egg, and extensive travel plans in retirement.
Then life happens. The fairy tale marriage becomes a dim memory. We are barely hanging onto a job that we only tolerate. Our children are in trouble at school. Our house is falling apart but there is no money in the saving account.  The nest egg was depleted due to unforeseen circumstances, and health issues have squelched the travel plans of our dreams.
At times, life can be very difficult indeed. I can attest to that personally. I can also attest to God’s goodness. God showed His grace over and over again, working these times of turmoil, to my good. I have been made better, because of these times. Now that I look back in retrospect, I can see it. During the difficult time, I could not.
Joseph could also attest to God working all things out for the good. His brothers threw him into a pit, sold him to slavery in a foreign land, and then he spent time in jail due to false allegations. I’m sure Joseph may have not seen a way out of this mess, but through God’s grace he did.
God ended up using Joseph to save the nation of Israel. Due to a famine, Joseph and his brothers were reunited. Now it was time for Joseph to extend the same grace to his brothers, as God showed to him. Instead of harboring hate and resentment, he said, “Now don’t be worried. Don’t be angry with yourselves for what you did. It was God’s plan for me to come here. I am here to save people’s lives.” Genesis 45:5
You may be going through a time of your life that seems hopeless. I would suggest three don’ts: Don’t blame God. Continue to trust the one who holds the world in His hands, remaining faithful, until all is accomplished. Don’t rely on your love for Him, as it may be small right now. Instead rest in His boundless love for you. The words in your head, “He doesn't love me, or He wouldn’t be letting me go through this,” are not from God. Don’t let the enemy defeat you. God can take this situation, and turn it into something for your good. You must be patient.
Right now you cannot see it, but when you look back, you will see how God did work inside your heart, to mold you into His likeness. You may find yourself actually thanking Him for the rough times, which smoothed out the roughness of your soul.
Dear Father, Thank you for not letting go of me during the difficult periods of my life. I am sure there will be more times of suffering ahead, but I trust that your grace will sustain me. In Christ name, Amen

Comments

Post a Comment