VIEWING OBSTACLES DIFFERENTLY


Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
Several years ago when major problems arose in our family, I would sometimes be overwhelmed and anxious.  I would take on the issue, and felt the need to go in and solve the problem. After all, a mother of five, is going to face some obstacles, and her job when the children are young, is to basically put controls on them. She is there is break up fights, make sure that chores and homework are completed, help them make wise decisions, and control them from bad outside influences.
Now my children are grown, and I have 12 wonderful grandchildren. With spouses and children, our family has tripled, and with it, so has the problems. There seems to always be some kind of issue in which some obstacles seem almost insurmountable. The control I once had with small children is long gone. Now the issue is letting go of inward behaviors of worry, fear, and doubt.
Recently, three problem arose at one time, one being quite large. I noticed a big shift in my attitude. Although I was concerned, I was not overwhelmed. I was saddened, but not despondent. I realized that somewhere along the line, my faith in God had grown. I no longer felt the need to go in and try to control things, because I had an understanding that my control was much less effective than Christ control. Someone asked me, “Are you going to lose sleep over this?” My answer was, “No!” In my mind I knew a good solution for this problem, but  I also knew that God had a better one.
My lack of anxiety could be construed as lack of concern, but that was not the case. I am stronger because of my dependency…on Christ. I have a different vantage point. I have looked to the hills, where I receive my strength. As I soar high up in the arms of God, my earthly obstacles are as molehills. I know that with just one puff of His breath, the path can become straight, and the rough places smoothed.
This life and its troubles are temporal. Because of Christ, even death has no victory. We may have periods of grieving, but we are never in despair when we realize that the God of eternity, has us in the palm of His hand. From God’s vantage point, our obstacles can be viewed differently.

Dear Father, Remind us to keep our eyes on you, and not our problems. In Christ, Amen

Comments