WISDOM


If any of you is lacking in wisdom, ask God, who gives to all generously and ungrudgingly, and it will be given you.  James 1:5
For those who are seeking to know Christ better, there is one clear, fundamental instruction James gives us in the 5th verse of chapter 1. He simply says to pray and ask God for knowledge and He will give it. So, I decided to put it to the test.
I knew that the Bible tells us that if we ask for more of the Holy Spirit, God will grant that request also. My thinking was, if I combine the two, more of the Holy Spirit and knowledge, God would respond to my plea. I had faith that He would answer, and did not doubt, because I knew these were His promises. Verse 6-8 goes on to say, “But ask in faith, never doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind; for the doubter, being double-minded and unstable in every way, must not expect to receive anything from the Lord.”
God did indeed answer my prayer. I was able to take an online class that opened my eyes to new territory concerning the love of God. From that came many books to read and other informational material. Then the opportunity came for a college class on the New Testament. All of these books, classes, and other material were awesome, but the greatest of all these things was the opening of my eyes on knees in prayer before the Lord.
He has helped me to grow in His understanding and love. He has also revealed to me that the more I know, the less I really know of Him, My appetite for Him is insatiable. I actually yearn to know Him better, love Him better, and serve Him better. He has pointed out some of my flawed ways, a somewhat painful process, and He has revealed a love as I have never fully known before. He has given me an abundance of grace, and has helped me in the process of spreading that type of graceful love to others. I now no longer just love Him, but I have grown in love with Him. He is my all and everything, yet I have so much further to grow. That makes it all the more exciting.
If you want to grow in wisdom, and learn practical discernment of living a Christian life, use the method that James suggests. Ask God to impart His knowledge and fervently study His word. He will generously, and ungrudgingly impart wisdom to you. God has His special message, just for you. “Ask, and it will be given you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you.” This is not hopeful thinking, but a promise from Jesus found in Matthew 7:7.
Dear Father, Thank you for imparting your knowledge and love to a sinner like me. In Jesus I pray, Amen

Comments