CALLING REINFORCEMENTS


Yes, he paid attention to me, so I will always call to him whenever I need help. Psalms 116:2

I enjoy reading self help books including books on better business practices. I find that many times these techniques are very applicable to my Christian walk. A book written by Gary Keller called, “The One Thing,” gives a suggestion to a simple concept for narrowing your focus on one thing to achieve great results. Bill Sims Jr., in his book called “Green Beans & Ice Cream,” attests to the remarkable power of positive reinforcement. He speaks about how changed behavior can actually change a culture.


When I read these books, and if the advice is not contrary to scriptures, I can apply their techniques in my personal life. In my Christian walk, I can learn to become a better me. If the behavior of just one person could help to change the behavior of one other, soon many are changing. I knew the change had to begin with me.


I needed to ask myself, “Where exactly am I as a Christian wife, mother, sister or aunt? Where do I want to be? Am I helping others to grow in their faith, or am I a stumbling block?”


Sometimes searching our soul for the true answer is humbling, and a little painful. We may have to admit our failures, or shortcomings. We may have to say we have not quite reached the place God wants us to be. We might feel as if our faith life is somewhat lacking.


On our knees before God, we can ask Him to reveal the truth inside of us. He will show us the thing that is causing us not to be all that we were meant to be. His positive reinforcement will help us in this growth process. When that one area has been conquered through better habits He has help us  to develop, He might show us the next area that needs works. Our focus must always be on Jesus, as He lovingly molds us to be a good representation of Him.


And what exactly is our ice cream after we’ve eaten the green beans? First, He will give us peace and strength to endure now, right here on earth, in our daily journey. The second part of the answer is manyfold: We will be in His heavenly kingdom to bask in His light. We will eat at His table. We will drink His wine. We will wash in the crystal pure waters. We will walk on streets of gold. We will hear His voice say, “Welcome home, thy good and faithful servant.” And that my friend, will be the best positive reinforcement ever!


Thank you Father for starting your good work in us, and seeing it to your perfect completion. Amen

Comments