STONE THROWING




“Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” John 8:7


When I was a child I spoke like a child; I acted like a child. Skipping a stone across the water to see it hop three or four times was as easy as throwing the stones of hurtful words to hit and hurt people. But as I grew in the Lord, I began to put away childish things. I started to weigh my words, and eventually I began to even weigh my thoughts.

It is so effortless to pass an opinion on someone that looks different. It’s so natural to sneer in judgement at someone who's Christian beliefs do not align with ours. It’s instinctive to retaliate with hurtful words when one has insulted us. It is common to seek revenge when one has caused us pain. It is innate to become jealous of someone's fortune. It is in our very basic sin nature which cause us to be opinionated, judgemental, spiteful, vengeful, jealous people, and the list could go on and on.


Cain slew Abel out of jealousy. Christian churches feud with each other because of differences in opinions. A lady caught in adultery was being judged by people who thought they were righteous enough to do so. Jacob’s sons were bent out of shape about Joseph. Saul was bent out of shape about David. Sarah was bent out of shape about Hagar; and each one of them retaliated by throwing stones powered by their sinful nature.


We are all guilty; but there is hope. God, the only one qualified to judge, threw the final rock when He sent the “Rock of Ages,” to come and die for us. The crime was our fallen state of sinfulness. The payment was the life and death of Jesus Christ. He is the stone, the chief corner stone, the firm foundation, the solid rock, the stone of Israel, Zion’s stone, the stone that the builders rejected, a stumbling stone, the rock of offense, the spiritual and the living stone. He is the rock in which we hide.


If we think we might be qualified to throw a stone, we might want to consider that we might be living in a glass house of self-righteous pride, and lies. We deceive ourselves when we place ourselves on our pedestals, with the inscription at the bottom which says, “I’m right, and no one can tell me differently.” We have become our own idol.


If you are a mature Christian, put away your childish behavior or envy and strife. We do not need to put someone down to make us look better. Not everyone need to think exactly like us to be a child of God. We need to stop our game of stone throwing, and humble ourselves to become servants of love. This is exactly what the Rock of Ages did for us.


Thank you Lord for being the only rock. Bridle my tongue and my thought to allow you to be the only righteous judge. Hold my hand when I am ready to hurl a rock. Amen

Comments