JOY


My brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing. James 1:2-4
Two older women, both widowers, and both with problems, faced life differently. Alice always had a smile on her face, a skip in her step and a song in her heart. Doris was mostly seen with shoulders slumped, and a furrowed brow.  When questioned, “How are you today?” Alice would many times answer, “I’m fine.” Doris would almost always answer, “Not good at all.” after which she would list all her complaints. People quit asking Doris that question.
I am not sure which category I fit in, but I think many of us feel some of the sentiments of Doris. I really do not count it as joy, when I am facing health, family, or financial problems, but that is what James is telling us to do in these scriptures.
James tells us that these problems produce endurance, which leads to us being a more complete, mature Christian. I personally have witnessed God taking bad things in my life, and turning them for my good, so why do I sometimes grumble and complain when a problem arises?
Telling the lie, “Everything is great,” when in reality, our world is falling apart, presents a false front. Whining and complaining is not the answer either; It solves nothing. Maybe the answer is, “Things are difficult right now, and I could use some prayer, however, I know that God will eventually work all things out to my good, so I am resting in that promise.” Then others know to pray for you, and you can be honest in your feelings about your situation. We are admitting that we are experiencing difficulties, but we are still joyful in Christ.
I know a little boy who summarized it in such simple terms. He said, “Mommy, I gave my heart to Jesus. I just had to, because I was so sad last year about something. I needed Jesus in me, to bring me joy; And He DID!”
Whether young or old, life can be harsh, but with Christ in us, we should never claim defeat until all His work in us, is finished. We most definitely can persevere in our hope and faith, trusting that God will safely bring us victoriously to the other side of the situation. We are not always going to be happy, but we can either wallow in resentment, or we can be reposed in quiet confidence of His promise, “I will never leave or forsake you.”  (Hebrews 13:5)
Dear Lord, Help me to rest in your promises. Help me to bear my burdens with a joyful attitude. Amen

Comments