LIVING IN FAITH


Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.  
Hebrews 11:1


From the time that a child begins to talk, they ask questions. They want to know why, what, where, and when. As adults, we are not much different. We want to know these things also. From a Biblical standpoint, we read the word and we ask God questions. When we latch onto what we deem as the truth, we stand firm. This gives us some consolation, and also this gives us many denominations of churches, each holding onto their own belief system.


I was surprised to learn that certain beliefs such as eternal damnation, and rapture are relatively new. I asked a practicing orthodox Jew if she and her church believed in hell. Her answer was, “No.” I was also surprised to learn that rapture is never mentioned in the Bible, and that it sprung from a little girls vision only 170 years ago. Up to this point, no one had even a belief in a rapture, yet many churches today have pieced together scripture from Daniel and Revelations to come to this conclusion.


I am not mentioning these things to argue a point on hell or rapture, but to speak of faith. Faith gives us consolation to rest in God’s assurance. Are we able to ask questions, but in reality, rest in God’s system, even when we don’t know the real answers.


It is like taking our child in our arms and saying, “Trust me. I will protect you. I will take you where you need to go, when you need to go. I will love you and do what is best for you.” When the child truly believes your words, and begins to rest in your arms--that is faith.


Do we veer off the path of faith when it is more important to be dogmatic, than to be loving and kind? Is our doctrine more important than a Christ-like attitude? Do we need to be theologically correct to have worth, or is our worth in Christ?


I agree that there is some discomfort in not knowing. God made us inquisitive. He wants us to ask questions and to grow in wisdom. But true peace will come by resting in God’s promises to protect, love, and care for us. He will have the final say in all matters. It’s putting on our blinders, and trusting our future in Him. He loved us enough to die; I think we can have faith, and rest in His arms.

Dear Savior, When my trust in you is wavering, my love for others is diminishing, and my peace is lacking, fill in my faults, my faltering faith, with your goodness and mercy.  Amen

Comments