MY FRIEND, ALICE


I

I no longer call you servants, because servants don’t know what their master is doing. But now I call you friends, because I have told you everything that my Father told me.  John 15:15

I was numb with pain when I heard the words, “There is nothing they can do for me. I am going on hospice.” I knew it was a death sentence for my dear friend, Alice.  I replied, “Are you sure you want to do this?” I knew how much fight she had, but this time she had given up.

I openly let the tears spill down my cheeks as I said, “What am I going to do without you?” With her soft hands on each side of my face she looked into my eyes and said, “You will be alright. You know I love you. You are my best friend in the whole wide world, and you will be alright.” She knew that as long as I kept Jesus, number one in my life, all would be well.

One thing that made Alice and me close, was the fact that we confided to each other. In the scripture above, Jesus said, “I have told you everything that my Father told me.” He had confided to his disciples enlightening words of, encouragement, warnings, and blessings. Everything the Father revealed to Him, He disclosed to His disciples. He considered himself a friend to them, not their master. Through the passed down message in the Bible, we who listen and hear those words, and act on those words, are considered His friend also.

Another thing that kept Alice and me close, was a kindness shown to each other. 1 Peter 3:8 says, “So all of you should live together in peace. Try to understand each other. Love each other like brothers and sisters. Be kind and humble.” My friend and I loved each other through our faults, and downfalls. We listened and had an understanding of each other. We held each other up in prayer.

Lastly, we were friends because we had a mutual affection for each other. Proverbs 18:24 says, “A man who has friends must show himself friendly, and there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” Alice and I laughed together, cried together, prayed together, and enjoyed each other’s companionship.  A day never went by without at least a phone call. Her actions revealed that she and I had a bond that could never be broken, not even in death.

Then the day came, that the Lord called Alice home. The pain of the void she left in my life was nearly paralyzing. It took me several years to deal with this grief, but God in His mercy started a long healing process. I am so grateful for that special bond Alice and I had.  God placed her in my life, at His perfect timing, and even though I felt like she was taken too soon, I know deep in my heart it was His perfect timing again. I will see her again someday, because Jesus Christ, my dearest friend of all, paved the way to make that happen.

No earthly friend has ever laid down their life for me, other than Jesus. His love is everlasting and unconditional. I can talk to Him freely because He enjoys my company.  When my earthly friend left this world, I went to Him in prayer asking for comfort. Eventually, I asked Him for another friend. I knew that Alice was irreplaceable, but God listened to my pleas, and filled a longing in my heart. What a wonderful friend I have in Jesus!

Just like an earthly friend, anyone can go to Jesus to converse, laugh, cry, plan, confide, rejoice, and confess. He will listen with no condemnation. If it’s an earthly friend we desire, we need to just ask, and show ourselves friendly, always remembering that Jesus can be, our best friend in the whole wide world, if we would allow Him.

Dear Father, Thank you for your Son, Jesus, who revealed Himself as a true friend. Amen

Comments