CREDIT CARDS AND THE SHEPHERD



Very truly, I tell you, anyone who does not enter the sheepfold by the gate but climbs in by another way is a thief and a bandit. The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep hear his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.  John 10:1-3

“Mrs. Calvert,” a voice over the phone said. “We have put a hold on your credit card because we saw some unusual activity. Have you used your card in South Carolina?” I told the person on the phone that no, I had not even been to South Carolina. This had been the third time my card had been duplicated, and used somewhere else. Even though I had used my card in reputable places, someone had stolen my number and made a fake card. Thankfully, I am the only one with the codes to gain access to my bank account. The person with the fake card, does not. The activity was noticed by the bank, and their efforts were thwarted.

Jesus used the example of sheep and the gate, because that was a good analogy of His representation for those days. Today, most of us barely know what a shepherd does exactly, but we do understand credit cards. My credit card is mine. I am the keeper of that card, and if anyone takes the number, duplicates it and uses it, is a thief, plain and simple.

Jesus is the keeper of the gate to life everlasting. He is the chosen one, blameless, and perfect. It is only through Him that we can gain redemption, and cleansing of our sins. There is no other way, but through Jesus.  Those who accept His gift, know Him, hear His voice, and follow Him. Those that try other method to get to God, are like the owners of my fake credit card. It does not belong to them, and even though they may make a purchase or two, their activity is fraudulent, and will be halted.  

We must ask ourselves this question, "Do I really know Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior, or am I trying other methods of sanctification?" No one else can bring us to a renewed relationship with God other than His Son. Jesus said it perfectly in John 14:6, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” Only Jesus has the combination to gain access to the bank. His dividends are forgiveness, wisdom, knowledge, understanding, freedom, peace, joy, comfort, and love.  If we want to come to the Father, we must go through Jesus.

Dear Lord, Thank you for your son, Jesus, who is our way to abundant life. In Him we pray, Amen

Comments