TRUSTING DURING THE STORM



I begged the Lord three times to take this problem away from me. But the Lord said, “My grace is all you need. Only when you are weak can everything be done completely by my power.” So I will gladly boast about my weaknesses. Then Christ’s power can stay in me. Yes, I am glad to have weaknesses if they are for Christ. I am glad to be insulted and have hard times. I am glad when I am persecuted and have problems, because it is when I am weak that I am really strong.  2 Corinthians 12:8-10

It was a difficult day. I stayed strong for my daughter, but when she received yet another blow of defeat, I wept inside my heart. For six years, I have prayed about this situation, and it seemed as if my prayers were falling on deaf ears. I went to my prayer closet, got on my knees, and thanked God for the outcome, in obedience. My heart did not feel grateful, and God knew it, but I was still obedient and continued to put my trust in Him.

Later, I sat on my back porch not being able to speak. I was numb with pain. Then the rain began to fall, representing the absent tears filling my heart. Soon the wind increased until the trees swayed and bent, looking as if they would snap in half. The rains then came in torrents.  I sat in awe of the storm. I felt safe on my porch, even though I knew a branch could easily penetrate that screen, or lightning could hit right there in my space. I just sat there in peaceful serenity, listening, and enjoying the turbulent weather.

Paul had begged the Lord three times to take away His problem. I’m sure Paul did not reach his calming conclusion immediately. That’s why he prayed several times. He eventually realized that God’s grace was sufficient, and that God could use Paul in a more efficient manner, with his problem, than without it. Paul’s peace came when he submitted to God’s will.

For six years, I too have begged the Lord to answer my pleas.  I needed to realize that God had everything under control. I needed the peaceful serenity, more than I needed God to answer my prayers my way.  I woke the next morning feeling somewhat renewed. Nothing had changed, but my outlook had.

It all came down to trust. Did I trust the Lord completely? Did I know that, “All things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose?”  (Romans 8:28) Did I feel safe in God’s care, just like I did on my back porch, when the storm was tempestuous?

Presently, the storm of life may be raging in your life. God is not answering your pleas. Your best choice is; thank Him, trust Him, and put your hope in Him. Anything less would be like letting your soul be blown apart in the winds of destruction. You may feel as if you are hanging on to a thread, but that is only an unreliable emotion. The reality is; God has you, safely and tightly snuggled, in His arms. He will not let you go, because you belong to Him.

Dear Father,

I thank you despite my difficulties, and I thank you for my difficulties. I choose to put my trust in your anchor that holds me fast, during the storms of life.

Amen

Comments