HE KNOWS YOUR NAME



Listen, O isles, unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far; The LORD hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name. Isaiah 49:1

My name is Adora Jenny, however, my entire life I have gone by my middle name. It has made it difficult at times. I remember at the beginning of each school year, a new teacher would do rollcall. “Adora,” She would say.  No one would answer, not even me. It would take a few seconds to sink in, “Oh, she is calling me.” I would cringe, and finally say, “Here.”  The class would snicker and say, "I didn’t know your name was Adora? Oh how A-dor-a-ble!” I wanted to hide with embarrassment.

Then later in life, filling out forms could be a pain. I wouldn’t know whether to put in Jenny or Adora for my first name. I usually had to explain, “I go by Jenny.”

Eventually, my first granddaughter was born, and her parents named her, Adora. It was then, when I looked at that precious little girl, and held her in my arms, I just loved everything about her, including her name.

We want to be called by our names. It was something designated specifically to us.  I watched my grandsons taunting a friend, calling him by the wrong name. This little lad did not like it at all, and began to get upset. I made them stop their teasing, and let them know just how important our personally assigned name is to us.

God knows us by our names. Our individuality was brought to my attention in a scripture that doesn’t even seem to fit with this statement. The scripture is in 1 Kings 19:18, when God told Elijah, “I still have 7000 people in Israel who have never bowed down to Baal or kissed that idol.” I read this with amazement. God specifically knew these people, who knew Him. He actually had a tally of exactly how many. So can those of us who call ourselves Christian, relate to that?

Hebrews 4: 13 says, “Nothing in all the world can be hidden from God. He can clearly see all things.” John 10:3 says, "He calls his own sheep, using their names.” John 10:14 tells us, “I am the good shepherd. I know My sheep and am known by My own.” So the answer is, “Yes!” We can relate to that, because the Bible tells us, as followers of Christ, He knows us by our name. He knows our name even before we are born.

So there may be times when we feel insignificant, but we most definitely are not! The Great I AM, knows our name. If we have put our trust in Jesus Christ, our name will written in the book of life. God will know the exact number of those who know Him.  Luke 10:20 says, “Rejoice that your names are recorded in heaven.” Revelations 3:5 says, “I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father, and before His angels”

When I hear His voice calling me, “Adora Jenny,” I won’t cringe, or resist raising my hand. I will gladly say, “I am here Lord!”

Dear Lord,

Thank you for salvation through Jesus, and for writing our names in the book of life.  Amen

Comments