BINDING FEAR



For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

2 Timothy 1:7



My 12 year old heart has a heavy burden named, fear. I am fidgeting in church, but I hear the words of my father, the minister, speak from the pulpit. “For all have sinned, and fallen short of the glory of God,” and “By grace are you saved through faith.” I hear the words and my heart is convicted.  I know that I am a sinner, but I had already made a decision when I was 5 years old, to follow Jesus. Surely, I did not need to make a decision again? But something is wrong: fear is controlling my heart, not God.

 I hear dad's words speak of, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son.” My heart overflows with love for what God did for us.  Now, I hear him say, “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” My heart swells with the hope of being rid of the fear for my eternal soul.

I already know Jesus as my personal Savior, but this binding fear needed to be released to God. The message has ended, and I hear the music. I feel as though my feet are glued to the floor, yet I move from my seat, and find myself walking down this aisle towards my daddy, but it is not him to whom I go.  I am really going to my Heavenly Father.  I am praying within my heart for God’s forgiveness, and His assurance that He is holding me for eternity, and never letting me go.  I ask for a release from the fear that is binding me, and God answers.

We need to ask ourselves: What is binding us today? Is it anger? Is it resentment? Is it sexual immorality? Is it gluttony, alcohol, pills, or drugs?  Is it anxiety or fear? I was just a little girl who had been fidgeting in church, but God’s word reached out to me, and spoke to my heart.  I didn’t even fully understand then, but in faith God saved me from the binding grips of fear. He replaced it with His sweet peace. The fear for my eternity never returned.

Give to God what is binding you today. Receive His gift of forgiveness. Don’t waste another day, living miserably in the grips of something keeping you captive. God's peace is just a prayer away.

Dear Savior,

Thank you for ridding us of all our bondage. Thank you for setting us free with your perfect love.

Amen

Comments