BIG SKY


When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him?  Psalms 8: 3-4

I got a message in my fortune cookie that said, “The sky seems small when you are looking at it from the bottom of a well.” I had to contemplate on that. We know the sky is immense stretching from the north horizon, to the south horizon, from the east to the west. No matter how high we fly in an airplane we will never reach the skies end, nor its beginning. The sky is unbounded space, but that is not what we see when we are viewing it from the bottom of a well. I wonder, how do we view our limitless God?

Many times we are looking at God from the bottom of our life wells, thinking He is too small to fix our problems. Other times, things are going so well that we still see God in such a small way: one who is not the center of our attention. We put God in our boxes of limitation. We may decorate the box and put it in a place of honor on our mantels, but we really only come to the box and let Him out when needed. We are not utilizing the all-knowing, immeasurable God that He is. We trivialize God, like looking at the sky from the bottom of a well.

Sometimes when I look at the night sky and see all the stars and let my mind wonder on creation, I become aware of the vastness of God. It almost becomes frightening when on my knees before Him, I realize I am speaking to the Creator of all the Universe. I feel insignificantly small, yet because of the sacrifice of His son Jesus Christ, I can boldly come before His throne. I really can’t fully comprehend that, however I know this; no box could ever contain Him; no mind can comprehend or fathom the greatness of God.

As close as we can come to Him in the word, in prayer, in service, and in meditation, I still think we will be amazed when we see Him face to face.  The ironic thing is, when we think we are putting God in a box, He is really watching us put ourselves in a box. From that vantage point, we have only a little peep hole to glimpse His glory.

God is big; bigger than we could ever even imagine! He is our Lord God Almighty (El Shaddai), Lord Master (Adonai), Lord that heals (Jehovah Rapha), Lord Provider (Jehovah Jireh), Lord of Peace (Jehovah Shalom), The Everlasting God (El Olam), The Creator (Elohim), and much, much more, yet one GOD. He is the all in all, the Alpha and Omega, the great I AM!

The only limitation of God, is our limitations we place on Him. We need to climb out of our wells and boxes to get a better view of the infinite God!

Holy God,

Thank you for letting us approach your throne because of the blood of Jesus. I can’t fully understand your greatness. I come humbly with a contrite heart.  Amen

Comments