TREE STORAGE



Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation And sustain me with a willing spirit.
Psalms 51:10-12



The last few years, after Christmas, I have been using a large plastic bag and a sheet to cover my Christmas tree, fully assembled and decorated. Then I find a place large enough to store the entire thing standing upright. It has made it easier then, for the next year, to pull the whole tree out, unwrap, and then fluff. Voila’! I have an already decorated tree.

This year, I almost did not unwrap it. I did pull it out of the closet and sat it in the living room, but I left the big ugly plastic bag and sheet on it for a couple weeks. Finally one day, I decided to take the bag and sheet off and plug it in. I replaced a few fallen ornaments and only straightened a few branches. Basically, my tree looked the way I do some mornings, when my hair is all disheveled, squished lopsided and sticking out in other places.

This Christmas was a little more difficult than usual. Three of my children and their families could not be here this year. Also, my daughter ended up getting very sick with a contagious illness. And to top it all off, this was my first year without mom.

I did a lot of reminiscing of Christmases when my children were little. I remember their excited faces waiting for Christmas morning. On Christmas Eve, we would get together with our extended family. We would all get in a circle, hold hands, and Dad would pray before we would chow down on a feast of wonderful food. There was fun, laughter, games and gifts. It was glorious.

This Christmas was strangely quiet. It was different, but it was still good. I remembered that if it were not for Christ, coming as a baby to this world, I would have been lost, without hope. Because of Christ, I know my mother is in heaven, celebrating her first Christmas before God’s throne. Because of Jesus, I too will be reunited with all my loved ones who have gone on before me. Because of Jesus, I could celebrate, even in the midst of sorrow.

Now it’s time to take the tree down and store it. I think maybe, I might take all the ornaments off, disassemble it, and store it properly. That way next year, I can do it right. I know that a tree is not necessary at all for celebrating Christmas, but I will retrieve it, and make it like new next year, remembering that because of baby Jesus, I am made new by His sacrifice. My sins are forgiven and I have been adopted into God’s family. I will also remember that because of Jesus, each day I am renewed by His Holy Spirit. He takes me out of my suffocating bag of sin, and decorates me with love, hope, peace, patience, joy and kindness. He fluffs my ruffled places and plugs me into His power source, where I can shine the light of God's love to others. He makes me beautiful.

Dear Father of Lights,

Thank you for making me new and for renewing me each and every day. I love you.

Amen

Comments