HOPE FOR HEALING


Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. He sent out his word and healed them; he rescued them from the grave. Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind. Psalms 107:19-21

While doing a task in my bedroom last year, I managed to get my foot entangled in an electric cord. It caught me off guard and caused me to fall backward. As I was going down I instinctively put my hand back to catch my fall and to protect my hip. As I hit the floor, I heard a loud snap. Instantly, I felt searing pain in my wrist. I had indeed protected my hip, but at the expense of my wrist.

Tests revealed not only a couple breaks but an entire shifting of the wrist area. Surgery to pull the bone back into place, along with a metal plate and several screws was the treatment required.
The period of recovery was difficult. I was unable to take any substantial pain medication so I had to endure it. It took many weeks of physical therapy to get back motion. I remember thinking that maybe I would never fully recover.

For those who are going through a time of brokenness in your life, being patient, waiting on God, enduring the pain, doing spiritual therapy, and not giving up hope is the road to a full recovery. It takes a long time to heal when we are broken. God can take the pieces of our lives and put them back into place. Just like a metal plate, screws and a brace were used on my arm to keep the repair in place, we may need to sit still and be quiet for a while, resting in God so that a healing of our soul can take place.

Going through the recovery period may be painful, but our spiritual therapy of reading God’s word, praying and sitting still to listen to God’s voice will help us to go from the point of brokenness to a place of wholeness. We may have to face some difficult realizations and lay them at Jesus’s feet, including our negative thought of forever staying broken.

God will not let us suffer forever. In time we will look back and remember the pain, but know we have grown because of it. Our light and momentary affliction will eventually bring God glory. Through our suffering, we are polished to a brilliance that was not there before the affliction. This can become a shining example to others in a broken state, of hope for healing.

Dearest Lord,

Thank you for your healing power. From being broken to becoming whole, in all things, help me to bring glory to you.

In Your Name,

Amen 

Comments