LUKEWARM COFFEE


Written by:  Jenny Calvert

I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spit you out of My mouth. For you say, ‘I am rich, and have stored up goods, and have need of nothing,’ yet do not realize that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked.  Revelations 3:15-17 (MEV)

Sometimes in the morning, I get so busy either doing my Bible readings, typing a devotional, or maybe household tasks that I forget that I had a nice hot cup of coffee. When I become aware of that fact, I pick it up and take a gulp only to find that it is lukewarm. I had let it sit too long. I am not a fan of lukewarm coffee. I would rather drink it over ice or have it nice and steamy hot, but lukewarm is just not tasty.

We as Christians sometimes go through periods where we are in that lukewarm state. We are going through all the motions, reading His word, praying, attending church, but we feel blah!  In “The Prayer Journal of George Washington,” there is a particular prayer in which he is stating such a period of time in his life. He admits that his prayers need pardon, his performance of duty is weak and imperfect, and when he hears the word of God it is with a dead spirit.

On a social media website I noticed several postings where people wanted a closer relationship with God. Through all the ages, we are prone to go through periods where we may not feel the burn of passion for Christ. We strive to get closer in our relationship with Him and we want to “feel” something.

So how do we overcome this monotonous, bland feeling?

First: Just like my coffee, I remembered it was there. We must remember to whom we belong. We are not ourselves, but are Christ's.

Second: Just like my coffee gets reheated in the microwave, we need to be sure we are plugged into the power source, Jesus Christ. When we ask for the Holy Spirit, God is faithful in hearing our prayers. He will answer and change us from lukewarm to hot.

Third: Just like my coffee, if I keep it in my hand and keep drinking I will not let it grow cold. In our Christian walk we should never give up. We continue to do what helps us to grow in faith, then we know we are on the correct path with or without euphoric feelings.

God knows our hearts, forgives and will help us on our Christian journey. His light through us will not grow dim if we live Christ, and walk Christ, and never ever give up the fight.

Dear Savior,
Thank you for being our light. Help us to stay hot in our service for you. Help us to remember that we are your light to this world.
In Your Name,

Amen

Comments