THE FOREST



Written by: Jenny Calvert
Photo by: Greg Mellen

Let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be glad; let the sea roar, and all that fills it; let the field be joyful, and all that is in it; then all the trees of the forests shall rejoice.
Psalms 96:11-12 (MEV)

When we moved to the city, the opportunity to take a hike through the woods had been removed, but oh how I remember with fondness taking these walks into God’s unknown temple of winding paths.
   
I remember the crunching of the leaves beneath the feet, the musty yet delightful smell of decaying wood, the darkness of the deep forest, the sound of an unseen critter, and the excitement of what might be around the next bend. I remember the fork in the path and the decision of which way to take. I wondered if I would ever make my way to some destination or if I would be forever lost.

There is something wonderfully foreboding about the woods. The autumn forest is a beautiful cathedral adorned with gold, rubies, and sapphires.  I am transformed and captivated by the forest. It’s a place of boundlessness yet confinement. With each step deeper and deeper into the woods the trees become so close together that the branches entwining, become as one.

Though you are wrapped in its embrace, you are free. I commune with God and am aware of His presence. I am in awe of His astounding beauty around me. I thank Him for becoming one with me, wrapping me in His arms of love and yet setting me free to take flight. I realize I am not the only one praying to the Father.

As the leaves gently sway with the breeze the quaking sound is as the gentle applause, proclaiming God’s greatness. Ethereal hymns sing through the canopy on windblown breezes praising God and worshiping His majesty. You almost want to hold your breath, yet at the same time want to fill your lungs with all its glory. I love the forest and I love God for gifting us with His magnificent, awe inspiring creation.

Dear Father of all Creation,


I humbly bow in Your presence, speechless!

Amen

Comments