TEMPTATION

Written by:  Jenny Calvert

 The only temptations that you have are the same temptations that all people have. But you can trust God. He will not let you be tempted more than you can bear. But when you are tempted, God will also give you a way to escape that temptation. Then you will be able to endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 (ERV)
When I was in high school, my friend and I had gone on a double date to an old paddle boat converted to a restaurant on the river. It was quite fancy with white table linens, well dressed waiters and beautiful decor.  The four of us had a lovely time eating, visiting and enjoying the surroundings.  When we finished our meal she and I went into the ladies room.  She pulled out of her purse a cloth napkin from our table and said, “Jenny, let’s take one of these.” I said, “No”, but she kept pressing me. “Come on Jenny. No one will ever know.”  Taking the napkin was not a monumental crime. The restaurant would probably not even notice, but I knew myself.  I declined again, letting her know that I just couldn’t do it. It was difficult going against her as she was one of the most popular girls in the school, but I knew that the guilt of stealing would haunt me and cause more pain than joy.
We are tempted on a daily basis and the Lord understands. Matthew and Luke give a description of Jesus being tempted by Satan in the wilderness. Because Jesus had been fasting for a long time, He was hungry and weak and His physical body was vulnerable. Each time Satan approached him, Jesus used scripture. Jesus stood firm and was stong in who He was; God in the flesh. Jesus was always victorious over sin.
I myself, have not always been victorious over temptation. There were times when I was in a vulnerable period, and sin would knock at my door. Occasionally, peer pressure of others wanting to include me in their sinful acts would cause me to succumb. Sometimes sin would approach me when I was excluding God. Jesus was perfectly sinless. I am not! I could however, fight the battle of sin by using these four "R's". 
!.  Realize my state of vulnerability
2. Understand the Ramifications of my actions
3. Remember who is in me (Christ)
4. Recite scriptures to overcome temptation
I know when I do give into sin, if I Repent and turn away from my sin, Christ will forgive.
Dear Lord,
We thank you for your son Jesus Christ, who came in the flesh, and was tempted just as we are tempted. He understands. Help us to be victorious over sin so that we can be a better witness to others. Thank you for the forgiveness you offer when we give into temptation.

In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

Comments