TASTE AND SEE

TASTE AND SEE

Written by:  Jenny Calvert

God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.”  God said, “See, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food. And to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so.  Genesis 1: 28-30 (NRSV)

Oh taste and see that the Lord is good. Psalms 34:8 (KJV)

I was cooking dinner for my family when my young son said, “You aren’t going to put any crunchy things in that are you?  I don’t like those crunchy things.”  I wasn’t sure how to respond because I indeed had put some “crunchy” things, onions and celery, in my casserole. I did not want to influence him in a negative way from at least trying what I had made.   Because we had a large family, the children had to learn to eat whatever I made for the meal.  I also wanted them to try all different kinds of foods because I knew that many times if they would just taste they would see that it was really good.

God’s creation included a smorgasbord of wonderful things to eat and with it the magnificent sense of smell and taste.  These are two wonderful things however, He also spoke about another kind of sustenance.   It is not a food you pick from the garden or go to market and buy.  Instead it is the unseen food of the soul Jesus can supply from his endless warehouse.  His buffet is a wide variety of love, forgiveness, peace, comfort, joy, wisdom, and strength, just to mention a few.  When we turn to Jesus and make Him a part of our life it pleases our palate in such a way that we want more. We lean on Him, read His word, pray, listen, learn, and do His work. We can smell this wonderful aroma and taste the succulent nutrients of His boundless provisions.  If we just taste, we will see that His food is truly good and our spiritual hunger and thirst is completely satisfied forever.

Dear Creator,

Thank-you for your food that is seen and not seen.  Help us each day as we grow both physically and spiritually.  Help us to be aware of those that do not have enough to eat and to give as you have given to us.


Amen

Comments