LIFE EVERLASTING

Written by: Jenny Calvert

We know that our body—the tent we live in here on earth—will be destroyed. But when that happens, God will have a home for us to live in. It will not be the kind of home people build here. It will be a home in heaven that will continue forever. But now we are tired of this body. We want God to give us our heavenly home. It will clothe us and we will not be naked. While we live in this tent, we have burdens and so we complain. I don’t mean that we want to remove this tent, but we want to be clothed with our heavenly home. Then this body that dies will be covered with life. This is what God himself made us for. And he has given us the Spirit as the first payment to guarantee the life to come.
2 Corinthians 5:1-5 (ERV)

A little over a week ago my beloved mother stepped into the arms of Jesus. I watched her as she ever so slightly opened one of her blue eyes and gasped her last breath. It was as if in her gasp she was seeing the face of God. I knew my mother’s heart was longing for His embrace and even though I was reluctant to let her go, I have peace in knowing she is there. I also have the hope that someday, I too, will be in His presence with all those who have gone before me. The Bible says that when we are absent from the body we will be present with the Lord. Also, when Christ was dying on the cross, He told the criminal hanging with Him, “Today you will be with me in paradise.”

Jesus said these words, so they must be true. I cling to these words. I need to believe them. I draw from their power, their peace, their comfort and their hope. It is because of these words, I can know that there is more. We were created magnificently, with cells, chromosomes, DNA, pumping heart, expanding lungs, computer-like minds, senses and a spiritual being. There must be more for this detailed life than what exists before our eyes. When mom stopped breathing it was evident that the spiritual mom was gone.  All that was left was the shell, the tent in which she resided here on earth. Her body had become worn and feeble, racked with pain. Even though for now, I will miss those hands that stroked my hair, those arms that wrapped me in love, or the voice that sang me songs, how could I hold her back from this glorious journey? Now she is pain free, standing upright, strong, and free in the presence of God Almighty. She is now at quiet rest. I mourn now, but know that someday I too, will have my tears dried with God’s gift of everlasting life in paradise.

Dearest Holy One,

Thank you for my wonderful mother and the life she lived. I am grateful that she pointed the way to you and your salvation. Thank you for the gift of life everlasting in your name.


Amen

Comments