A NICKLE BACK SCRATCH

A NICKLE BACK SCRATCH

Written by: Jenny Calvert

Give, and it will be given to you: Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will men give unto you. For with the measure you use, it will be measured unto you. Luke 6:38 (MEV)

One day when I was around 8 years old my dad ask me to give him a back scratch for a nickel. I agreed and when I had finished, dad reached into his pocket and got out his little coin purse. It was a soft plastic, oval one that when you squeezed the ends, a slit in the middle would open. He took his finger and was digging around in the little change purse, searching for a nickel. I vividly remember, at that very moment, I saw dad in an unfamiliar way.  Even though I was only a child, at that moment I saw dad as the little child, bending over, searching for his nickel, a nickel that I knew, he could barely afford. It was the first time I felt sad for my father and I said, “Daddy you don’t have to pay for that back scratch!”  It was a very strange feeling for me. It was sympathy.

Why would that specific memory stay with me all these years? It was such a small speck in my life, yet it left me with an indelible impression.

I sorted it out in my mind and realized three things:
  • 1.       There is a saying that goes, “You scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours.” This means if you do a favor for me, I’ll do a favor for you.  Sometimes we need help and it is nice to have someone fill that specific void knowing that when the tables are turned we can help them.
  • 2.       It was the first time I had seen my dad through compassionate eyes. We do need to be sympathetic for those in need and do something about it.
  • 3.       Sometimes we need to give without expecting anything in return. We should give in a simple act of love for another human being.

The Bible says that we are to give because it will be given to us, but we should give to show love just like Christ shows loves toward us.

Dear Giver of Life,

Thank you for your gift of love given by the sacrifice of your son, Jesus Christ. Help us to be sympathetic to those in need and to give just as you have given to us. We love you Lord.


Amen

Comments