OBEDIENCE

OBEDIENCE

Written by:  Jenny Calvert

Do what God’s teaching says; don’t just listen and do nothing. When you only sit and listen, you are fooling yourselves. Hearing God’s teaching and doing nothing is like looking at your face in the mirror and doing nothing about what you saw. You go away and immediately forget how bad you looked. But when you look into God’s perfect law that sets people free, pay attention to it. If you do what it says, you will have God’s blessing.  James 1: 22-25 (ERV)

I saw her in the ladies room at a large stadium.  She was busy cleaning the room and the exhaustion was easy to read on her face.  She refused any assistance from me so we exchanged pleasantries about something non consequential and I exited the room.  I maybe walked 100 feet when God spoke and said, “Go back in there and pray for her right now.”  I hesitated making sure I heard correctly and thought, “She may not even want me to pray.”  Because I had already learned that it’s never a good idea to argue with God, I obeyed.  I went back into the ladies room and said, “I do not know if you believe in God or not, but would you let me pray for you?”  To my relief she answered, “Yes.”

I undoubtedly knew nothing about this lady, other than she was hired to clean the room and she looked exhausted.  I took her by the hand and prayed asking God to provide her all the good things He has to offer, like: salvation though Jesus Christ, strength, help, love, comfort, joy and blessings. When I was finished, she thanked me with a smile on her face.  I gave her a hug and left.
 
This story in its simplicity is not what I did for her, but rather what God did for me.  God blessed me!  He had given me an order so clearly.  I faced possible rejection by this woman, but on this specific occasion I obeyed God.  It may or may not have helped her.  She might have even laughed at me when I exited the room.  I really do not know, but I was contented that the Lord gave me a very small task that day and I had said yes.  When a request is made that is an act of love and is not contrary to Gods’ word, we can know it is His will and the best action to take is obedience.

Dear Father,

Thank you for speaking to our hearts.  Help us to trust and obey.  Thank you for the opportunities and forgive us for the opportunities missed.  We don’t always obey, but thank you for blessing us when we do and still loving us when we don’t.

In Your Name,
Amen


Comments