GRACE OR LAW

GRACE OR LAW
Written by:  Jenny Calvert

Don’t think that I have come to destroy the Law of Moses or the teaching of the prophets. I have come not to destroy their teachings but to give full meaning to them. I assure you that nothing will disappear from the law until heaven and earth are gone. The law will not lose even the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter until it has all been done.  Matthew 5: 16-18 (ERV)
But if you let the Spirit lead you, you are not under law. Galatians 5: 18 (ERV)
If you try to be made right with God through the law, your life with Christ is finished—you have left God’s grace. Galatians 5:4 (ERV)

When I went to take my driver’s permit test, I had to beforehand study the manual of rules and regulations. Some of the information was quite boring and tedious. I really did not care about how much insurance I needed to have on my vehicle, or the penalty for my third offence of drinking and driving.  These parts I skimmed over and as a result missed those questions on the test. I realize that all these rules are not meant as a punishment but are actually there to protect me and other drivers.  If we would all drive by the rules, there would be many less fatalities on the roads.

Reading the books of law in the Old Testament can sometimes be tedious.  But again, they were not written as a punishment of reading material, but as an instruction manual to give us direction for our safety and security.  The only problem is, there were so many rules and regulations that it would be humanly impossible to completely follow them all.  Wonderfully, God provided an alternative manual of grace through His Son Jesus Christ.

Living under the law is like this: When I drive, I many times disobey the instruction manual without even being aware that I have failed.  I look down at my speedometer and am going over the speed limit or I failed to use my signals when making a lane change.  Living under grace is like this:  I am still in the driver’s seat, but I give Christ control.  He uses my eyes, feet, hands and senses. Christ will automatically obey all the rules through me because He does not abolish the rules, but fulfills them.
In the split second that I take control, I fail and get a ticket. I turn to Jesus and admit my error and He willingly takes the ticket and pays the price.  We need to choose if we want to be law controlled or Christ controlled.  The Bible is clear, we choose one or the other, law or grace.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you for giving me a choice of law or grace.  Thank you for providing the second choice.  Help me to daily make the decision to walk in your grace, giving you complete control.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen

Comments