Song of the Heart

SONG OF THE HEART

Written by:  Jenny Calvert

Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth;
    break forth into joyous song and sing praises.
Sing praises to the Lord with the lyre,
    with the lyre and the sound of melody.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn
    make a joyful noise before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
    the world and those who live in it.
Let the floods clap their hands;
    let the hills sing together for joy
at the presence of the Lord, for he is coming
    to judge the earth.
He will judge the world with righteousness,
    and the peoples with equity.
Psalms 98:4-9 (NRSV)

 I remember one day in particular, as a child, when I took a walk into the forest, sat on a log and sang at the top of my lungs praises to God.  I was alone or so I thought. The trees seem to echo back and the canopy of branches became my temple.  Soon I could feel God’s presence.  I was already fully aware of the fact that I too was continually being surrounded with God’s music of nature, the warbling of birds, the humming of the bumble bees, the chirping of the frogs and the whistling of wind through the trees.  These were the melodies of life that gave me so much pleasure, so I felt the hope of God’s pleasure in this little girl’s hymns of praise to Him.

Psalms 98:4 says, "Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth; break forth into joyous song and sing praises."   Praising God through song is only one form of worship.  Now I am an older woman and my voice is worn, but that does not matter.  With a croaky noise I still sing my song to God.  I lift Him in praise and He lifts me in spirit.

We each have our own special song placed in our hearts by God.  It doesn’t matter the quality of sound we produce but it is the attitude of gratefulness.  When we sing to Him it becomes a pleasing melody, our own individual gift of praise to the creator of beautiful music. So go ahead and sing your song of praise, if not with your lips, then with your heart!

Heavenly Father,

Thank-you for placing a song in our hearts. Thank-you for surrounding us with your music.  Accept our gift of songs of praise to you.

In the name of Jesus,

 Amen

Comments