Love Like Jesus?

LOVE LIKE JESUS?

Written by: Jenny Calvert

“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”  Matthew 236-40 (ERV)

I remember giving birth to my first child.  I had never felt a love like that. I was very protective and would have laid down my life for that baby. Recently our pastor has been preaching a series on, “Love Like Jesus,” and I thought to myself; Is this even possible?  I loved my own children fiercely but the love of God is so great and vast that I am not sure I can even grasp it much less do it.

I could understand small fragment of this kind of love but would I be willing to lay down my life for someone else?  How about a stranger?  How about someone that hurt me or an antagonistic person?  Sometimes it’s our own family member that is difficult to love.

Many years ago I had a family member that hurt me personally and was a spiteful person.  However, with time, I knew God did not want me to hold animosity and it felt uncomfortable harboring resentment anyway.  There just wasn’t enough room in my heart for both Jesus and hate.  So I gave it to Him.  I was honest and said, “I do not like this person.  This person hurt me deeply.  I do know that you want me to not only forgive but love.  I will be honest Lord, I can’t do it.  So if you want me to love this person, you are going to have to do it for me.  I hand over all my resentment to you and ask that you replace it with YOUR love.  I personally can’t love like that but I am willing to let you do it.  Will you use me as your instrument to show your love and forgiveness, through me?”

That is all it took.  God answered that prayer fully. It was not that person who had changed, but me. God used me to forgive and grow in His love for this person to the point where I would have actually laid down my life if it had been needed.  The answer to the question, “Can I love like Jesus?” is a resounding yes, because it is not me but Christ who loves through me.

Dear Lord,

Thank-you for a love that is so great it is immeasurable.  I can’t fully understand all of the love you have for me.  Help me to always be your instrument of love and forgiveness. When I am ready to hold resentment, especially towards difficult people, remind me that you loved and forgave the difficult person that I am.  I love you back, my sweet Lord, but not nearly as much as you love me.  I am humbled. Thank-you!

In Christ’s Name,

Amen

Comments