Leap of Faith

LEAP OF FAITH

Told by: Lyric Calvert

We know that if the tent that we live in on earth is torn down, we have a building from God. It’s a house that isn’t handmade, which is eternal and located in heaven. We groan while we live in this residence. We really want to dress ourselves with our building from heaven— since we assume that when we take off this tent, we won’t find out that we are naked. Yes, while we are in this tent we groan, because we are weighed down. We want to be dressed not undressed, so that what is dying can be swallowed up by life. Now the one who prepared us for this very thing is God, and God gave us the Spirit as a down payment for our home. So we are always confident, because we know that while we are living in the body, we are away from our home with the Lord.  We live by faith and not by sight.  We are confident, and we would prefer to leave the body and to be at home with the Lord. So our goal is to be acceptable to him, whether we are at home or away from home.
2 Corinthians 5: 1-9 (Common English Bible)

I had enjoyed summer camp last year so I signed up again this summer with excitement.  However, once I made the commitment I realized this would be my first year in the high school section of the camp, and to make matters worse, there was only one other person going that I knew.  As the date grew near I grew more and more anxious to the point of thinking, “I’m not going to have much fun at all.”

When I finally got to camp I was nervous and then when I was invited to do an obstacle course 30 feet above the ground, I was terrified.  The theme of the camp was, “Walk by Faith and Not by Sight.”  I realized I was relying too much on sight and not faith, so I prayed a silent prayer, asking for God’s help. I was then determined to make the best of this situation and truly step out in faith.

God answered my prayers as almost immediately I made new friends, dove into the camp experience and threw caution to the wind as I did the obstacle course.  I enjoyed it so much that the last night of camp I did the most difficult of all challenges.  I had to jump off a tall telephone pole structure (with a harness) and grab a bar below.  The name of this challenge was, “Leap of Faith.”  I tightly closed my eyes and took the plunge, and even though I did not grab the bar, I was saved by the harness.


I learned that God knows what he's doing, even if it doesn't seem like it sometimes. If we have faith and trust that He will take care of us. He will bring something good out of even situations that seem hopeless.

Dear Lord,
Thank-you for teaching us lessons on learning to walk in faith.  Soon, school will begin for many students.  I pray that you will help all students as they begin this journey.  Help us to walk in faith and not by sight and help us to be a witnesses to your holy name.
In Your Name,
Amen

Comments